The oldest Jewish congregation in Los Angeles, founded in 1862 as Congregation B’nai B’rith, Wilshire Boulevard Temple is a Reform congregation of 2300 families. The Temple building, located at 3663 Wilshire Boulevard in the diverse Koreatown/Wilshire Center neighborhood, dates from 1929 and sits on a 3.9-acre site between Hobart and Harvard Boulevards, recently named the Erika J. Glazer Family Campus.
After undergoing a two-year renovation and restoration by prominent L.A. architect Brenda Levin, FAIA, the domed, Byzantine-style sanctuary has been restored to its 1929 glory. The majestic circular room, with a diameter of 100 feet and a ceiling height of 110 feet, seats 1,700. The sanctuary is encircled by a 320-foot mural, commissioned by the Warner Brothers, depicting scenes of Biblical and Jewish history, painted by the artist Hugo Ballin, who had been a distinguished set designer at Warner Bros. Studios. The sanctuary entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
The Temple offers education and worship services at the Glazer Campus on Wilshire Boulevard and at its Westside location, the Audrey and Sydney Irmas Campus, at Olympic Boulevard and Barrington Avenue. Both campuses feature Early Childhood Centers, Brawerman Elementary School, and Religious School, as well as cultural and educational programming for adults. The Temple also operates Camp Hess Kramer and Gindling Hilltop Camp and the Steve Breuer Conference Center in Malibu.
The next phase of development at the Glazer Campus includes the renovation of two school buildings and the construction of a multipurpose building along Sixth Street, which will feature rooftop sports facilities, parking for 450 cars, and the first-floor Karsh Family Social Service Center, which will serve the neighboring community with a food pantry, legal services, and dental, vision, and mental health care. Groundbreaking is set for Summer 2014.
For more information, please visit: http://www.wbtla.org